RE: Bug 443, assert when right align tabs

Subject: RE: Bug 443, assert when right align tabs
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 05:13:59 CST

> > This raises the question, what to do with tabs on right (and centerd)
> > lines. I checked with a well known WP and the bad WordPad in Windows and
> > both treats right and centerd lines like lines from the left but printed on
> > the right or centerd.
>
> For cases like this where the behavior is not clear, spending time figuring
> out what the algorithm should be is all you really need. As long as
> AbiWord behaves in a predictable way, go for it.
>
> Whatever you choose, you should be able to explain how I should test it.

Ok, this is my description:

1. Calculate the possition of the text as if it was left-aligned.
2a. Take what is left to the right margin and use as offset. (Right-aligned)
2b. Take what is left to the right margin and use half of it as offset. (Center-aligned)
3. Add offset to everything (text and other blocks) on the line.

I will ponder this and look at the code. I have no idea how Left-Right-aligned text behave.

--hb