NDEBUG (was RE: CVS's broken (for Unix))

Subject: NDEBUG (was RE: CVS's broken (for Unix))
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 21:54:47 CST

At 10:20 PM 1/23/00 +0100, Henrik Berg wrote:
>> Anybody knows the meaning of the NDEBUG flag, and why it's activated?
>> (my compile order is make prefix=/free/cuenca/usr ABI_OPT_GNOME=1
>> install, but I've tried make prefix=/free/cuenca/usr install, too).
>
>NDEBUG is defined in Win32 when using Visual Studio and compiling release,
but anyone could have made up that name.

>Obviosly you have it defined somewhere, but other Linux setups have not.
Make a search for it in your system.

>It should probably out of the source.

Actually NDEBUG is the ANSI C way of turning off assert() macros in
production code, which is basically how it gets used in our tree.

For the most part debug code in our trees gets guarded with DEBUG and
UT_DEBUG symbols instead.

Paul