Re: Latin support for US keyboards

Subject: Re: Latin support for US keyboards
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 22:34:04 CST

At 05:42 PM 1/25/00 -0800, Tom Burdick wrote:
>I'd tried to do this before, but his time I decided to bid adieu to my
>caps-lock and I've got a working solution. However, I find this system
>awkward (or at least different from what I'm used to). I've gotten quite
>used to the emacs way of doing things: that is, having an alternate input
>method, and switching between "normal" and your alternate method with
>C-\.

According to our oft-cited design goal for this project -- it Just Works the
way you expect it to -- the last thing we'd want to do is convince you to
*not* write code. Since we've already got an emacs keybinding set,
extending it in the ways you propose ought to make others with emacs-trained
fingers happy.

>I really think this is preferable for those of us with 101-key
>keyboards who normally type in English, but sometimes want to use a
>Latin-N language.

Actually, I'd guess that the usual xkeycaps solution will be most widely
adopted by existing X-savvy users.

Also, anyone who's used other recent GUI word processors will probably
handle occasional entry of characters not easily found on your keyboard via
an Insert Symbol dialog, which Martin Sevior's expressed an interest in
diving into.

Paul