Re: Latin support for US keyboards

Subject: Re: Latin support for US keyboards
From: Tom Burdick (tfb@u.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 19:42:36 CST

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 sterwill@abisource.com wrote:

> Tom Burdick wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone has any plans to implement (or already has in
> > CVS) support for composing Latin characters (ie, é, ô, etc) from US
> > keyboards. I'm thinking along the lines of Emacs Quail's
> > latin-1-postfix (or french-postfix). If hacking AbiWord is reasonably
> > easy (like lynx and pine; unlike gcc), I'd be willing to hack it.
> > I've been using AbiWord for all my University work for the last week,
> > but I guess I'm back to enriched-mode Emacs or LaTeX for my essays in
> > French, at least for a while :).
>
> I belive AbiWord is already capable of all Latin 1 input in X11.
> Configuring X to accept the right keys to compose all those characters
> is a different story, though. Look around for ways to enable "dead
> keys" for your X keymapping. With these keys, you can compose non-ASCII
> Latin 1 characters with two keystrokes. A program like xkeycaps will
> let you choose a key to assign this function.

I'd tried to do this before, but his time I decided to bid adieu to my
caps-lock and I've got a working solution. However, I find this system
awkward (or at least different from what I'm used to). I've gotten quite
used to the emacs way of doing things: that is, having an alternate input
method, and switching between "normal" and your alternate method with
C-\. I really think this is preferable for those of us with 101-key
keyboards who normally type in English, but sometimes want to use a
Latin-N language.

Would this kind of functionality be desired? If I hacked it in, would it
be incorporated?

Tom

---
GPG public key: <http://students.washington.edu/tfb/pubkey.asc>