Re: Latin support for US keyboards

Subject: Re: Latin support for US keyboards
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 02:38:43 CST

Tom Burdick wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has any plans to implement (or already has in
> CVS) support for composing Latin characters (ie, é, ô, etc) from US
> keyboards. I'm thinking along the lines of Emacs Quail's
> latin-1-postfix (or french-postfix). If hacking AbiWord is reasonably
> easy (like lynx and pine; unlike gcc), I'd be willing to hack it.
> I've been using AbiWord for all my University work for the last week,
> but I guess I'm back to enriched-mode Emacs or LaTeX for my essays in
> French, at least for a while :).

I belive AbiWord is already capable of all Latin 1 input in X11.
Configuring X to accept the right keys to compose all those characters
is a different story, though. Look around for ways to enable "dead
keys" for your X keymapping. With these keys, you can compose non-ASCII
Latin 1 characters with two keystrokes. A program like xkeycaps will
let you choose a key to assign this function.

--
Shaw Terwilliger