RE: i18n of abiword -- inputmethods

Subject: RE: i18n of abiword -- inputmethods
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 04:46:15 CST

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Henrik Berg wrote:
> >When looking for ways to get Unicode input under Windows98 I found this:
> >
> >ImmIsIME
> > Tests whether a specified HKL is an IME or a standard keyboard driver.
> > Multilingual-aware applications can test the currently active HKL to see
> > whether they need to execute IME-related code.
>
> What are HKL and IME and do they exist for Gujarati?

The HKL is the type of keyboard (Handle to Keyboard Layout) and IME is Input Method Editor.

The HKL exist on Win95/98/NT, but NT can't select layout per application only for the system.

IME on the other hand is hard for us with non Asian-Windows, but in some time I will upgrade to Win2k and then I will be able to try it.

I supose there is a IME for Gujarati (which country?), if there is a Windows version that handles it in ex. Wordpad.

My knowlage ends with 8bit charsets, so I'll need to ask alot of questions when I get to the IME stuf.

How about text direction. I know hebrew and arabic starts at the right, but how about asian languages?

--hb