RE: i18n of abiword -- inputmethods

Subject: RE: i18n of abiword -- inputmethods
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 11:30:30 CST

>I supose there is a IME for Gujarati (which country?), if there is a Windows version that handles it in ex. Wordpad.
>
>My knowlage ends with 8bit charsets, so I'll need to ask alot of questions when I get to the IME stuf.
>
>How about text direction. I know hebrew and arabic starts at the right, but how about asian languages?

Gujarat is in western India. All the nagari-derived scripts, including Gujarati,
are left-to-right.

The modern languages in India are written in scriptio discontinua, as opposed
to Thai and nearby languages, which are written in scriptio continua. Sanskrit
is in between: a space is inserted between words not punctuated only if the
first word ends with a vowel; else the last consonant of the first word
combines with the beginning of the second to make one syllabic cluster.

phma