Re: POW 19.12

Subject: Re: POW 19.12
From: Michael Vogt (mvogt@acm.org)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 13:39:39 CST

Paul,

> This may not be that bad.
>
> After drawing the entire run, scan the characters you just drew to see
> whether any of them are spaces. If so, do another drawing pass which draws
> dot characters "over" the space characters. Because we store the width of
> each character, you should be able to position those dots correctly.
Oki, I did it as you suggested and it works for me(tm). You are right, it was
not hard.

> Do you want to draw all the way from the left of the page to the right? If
This is solved, too (thanks for the pointer).

State of my little Project is currently: The toggleButton in the menu is there
and works (well, mostly, see my question on this issue), forceLineBreaks, Tabs
and Spaces are drawn with special Charackters. No funky P's, yet.

Ok, more questions.

You suggested in the POW 19.12, that the bShowParagraphs should be stored
inside a View. I did it this way, but if I choose "zoom", a new View
will be created and "ShowParagraphs" will be reseted. Can I do something
against this ? Or should I store bShowParagraphs in a Frame (like
bShowRuler) ?

I implemented the forcePageBreaks as a soild line. When I scroll a lot, the line
is not (re)drawn correctly. I'm not sure if I can blame my code, or the code
that does the scrolling (I will dig into this, I just want to be sure, that
this is not a known bug).

The Tabs and Spaces are drawn as special Latin1 Charackters. Can I savely
assume that every font has a Latin1 mapping (I think, the "Dingbats" hasn't) ?

> >I'm quite new to the source of AbiWord and hope, my questions aren't to
> >stupid :)
> You're doing fine. Anybody asking such detailed questions about specific
> spots in the code is going to find their way around quickly enough. :-)
Well, I hope so.

> Welcome aboard!
Thanks :-)

> Paul
Michael

P.S. I attach a patch against 0.7.7. It implents everythink I described above
(including the bugs, of cource). It's not alway conform with the programming
guidlines. I will fix this in my next patch.

--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734