Re: POW 19.12

Subject: Re: POW 19.12
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 18:47:25 CST

Michael,

Thanks for taking a whack at this. It's a feature that'll make a lot of
people happier.

At 04:01 AM 1/21/00 +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
>I looked into the POW from 19.12.99 and hacked a bit. Currently I try
>to figure out, how to replace the "Spaces" with nice dots. I digged into
>fp_TextRun and looked at _drawPart(), but I don't see a easy way to do it.

This may not be that bad.

After drawing the entire run, scan the characters you just drew to see
whether any of them are spaces. If so, do another drawing pass which draws
dot characters "over" the space characters. Because we store the width of
each character, you should be able to position those dots correctly.

>Another problem: In fp_ForcedPageBreakRun::_draw() I draw a line
>from iXstart = pView->getPageViewLeftMargin();
>to iXend = (m_pLine->getContainer())->getWidth();
>Most of the time, iXend is correct, but if I maximize AbiWord, the line
>is not drawn to the right border of the page. Only to about 3/4 of the page.
>I need some kind of pView->getPageViewRightMargin() :-)

Do you want to draw all the way from the left of the page to the right? If
so, then take a look at how the calculation is done for drawing those fancy
drop shadows on each page:

  FV_View::_draw()

IIRC, each page knows its own width, which is how the page decorations get
drawn.

>My last question: Is there a general design description for AbiWord ?
>Some document, that describes the "big picture" of the source?

Two suggestions:

1. Look in abi/docs in the source drop.
2. Look at the README files sprinkled around the tree.

>I'm quite new to the source of AbiWord and hope, my questions aren't to
>stupid :)

You're doing fine. Anybody asking such detailed questions about specific
spots in the code is going to find their way around quickly enough. :-)

Welcome aboard!

Paul