Re: rpm makefile patch for Linux/PPC

Subject: Re: rpm makefile patch for Linux/PPC
From: Logan Hall (warrior514@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 20:39:24 CST

sterwill@abisource.com wrote:

> Logan Hall wrote:
> > also what is the damn /etc/rpmrc suppost to look like.. the Makefile does some grep
> > action on it and i didn't have it.. so i just put what the Makefile was looking for
> > ("topdir: /usr/src/redhat") and rpm constanly bitches:
> >
> > bad option 'topdir' at /etc/rpmrc:1
>
> /etc/rpmrc was a quick and dirty RPM hack. It worked with RPM 2 last year.
> It should be fixed, and here's why.

it looks like the default location for rpmrc is /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc.

There is also a convertrpmrc.sh file there that i am looking through.

possibly there is a way to get rpm to do the expanding work and read the rpmrc file.
What is it used for exactly anyway?

> The purpose of scanning that file was to find the topdir entry, which
> is usually something like "/usr/src/redhat". If you want to have RPM
> not bitch, put "#topdir: /usr/src/redhat" (it will consider it a comment,
> but our grep will still work).
>
> That directory is where we should do our RPM building (which we do
> as a more manual process than most packages that support RPM).
> There has to be a better way to get this directory.
>
> I took a look through the RPM manual page. "rpm --showrc" gives
> us every tag, including the "topdir" tag. The format of its
> output is somewhat odd, though, and it expresses the value of
> "topdir" as a combination of other values that could be altered,
> so we'd have to expand those too.
>
> If we could get "topdir" some other way, we should use that instead of
> looking for rpmrc, which could be anywhere.

I still get this error when trying to build a rpm:
Executing: %build
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd abisuite-2000.01.25
+ UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0
+ ABI_BUILD_VERSION=2000.01.25
+ make -C abi-2000.01.25 compile canonical
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/abisuite-2000.01.25/abi-2000.01.25'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `compile'. Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/abisuite-2000.01.25/abi-2000.01.25'
make[2]: *** [rpm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/abiword/abi/src/pkg/linux'
make[1]: *** [distribution] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/abiword/abi/src'
make: *** [distribution] Error 2

I cant figgure it out. it builds normaly so im not sure why it would barf on compile.
any ideas?

--

---- Logan Hall