RE: commit -- fix typing on NT (CP1252)

Subject: RE: commit -- fix typing on NT (CP1252)
From: Henrik Berg (henrik@lansen.se)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 03:47:28 CST

> At 12:03 PM 1/25/00 +0100, Henrik Berg wrote:
> >This is a case whare NT should call ToUnicodeEx() and 95/98 have to do
> >ToAsciiEx() + iconv().
>
> Yep. I think that was Jeff's original plan, but he never found iconv.

I mailed Bruno Haible (author of libiconv) and got a lot of tips on Unicode code. towupper and other stuf.

> I wish I understood the keyboard stuff half as well as you and Jeff do.
> IIRC, he did a *lot* of experimentation to get the current approach working
> across various Win32 flavors. As you can tell from the barrage of comments
> he left at the top of these files, it was a fairly frustrating process.

Yes, it's frustration. When I started up AbiWord on the Win2000 I found that non latin1 gets HUGE charwidth (more than one page) giving one char on each line :) But the good news was that given the right font I typed and it displayed thai characters.

> I've got a pretty vanilla NT install here, with only the EnUS keyboard
> layout. If there aren't any other NT users here using other keyboard
> layouts, I'd be happy to install others to do some testing. If so, let me
> know where I should start.

I have now got my Win2000 beta runnig, so I will do the basic testing on that. I hope that Win2000 is not THAT much different to the old NT in this area. It's as easy to change keyboard as in Win98, so that helps a lot.

--hb