Re: SV: Insert Symbol dialog

Subject: Re: SV: Insert Symbol dialog
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 19:22:41 CST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Henrik Berg wrote:
> > I've used. It is nice to have the "Insert Symbol" up on a different part
> > of the screen ready to be used to insert a "pi" or "gamma". In my opinion
> > Abi would be significantly worse with a modal "Insert Symbol".
>
> I just got this picture in my head. If we don't think "symbol dialog",
> but rather "symbol toolbar". The toolbars are non-modal and platform
> independent (I hope). If you make a way to "print" symbols dynamicly on
> toolbar buttons and have a drop down (like the fontselector) to select
> unicode range, given in nice names like arabic, tamil, thai...
>
> It's just an idea...

This is a really great idea! In gtk it is really easy to dynamically alter
labels. If the other platforms have this functionality then we just clone
the tool bar code. Actually I guess the toolbar code could be extended to
act as a base class of non-modal inputs. One child would be a
toolbar another child could be a non-modal dialog. For insert symbol
it could even be a tear-off tool bar..

What do the abi Guru's think? It sounds like it would work.

Martin Sevior