Re: It's alive!!

Subject: Re: It's alive!!
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 16:38:16 CST

Robert Sievers wrote:
> For me, ./config.sub wouldn't run even if I ran it from it's own directory.
> It was marked executable, and returned the error "file not found", yet I
> couldn't find any file i/o code within it at all! config.sub was itself
> found, as I did tab completion to run it. Quite the mystery to me.

The File I/O is at the top of the file. The #!/bin/sh means: this line
is a comment, but it's the first line, the ! means execute the following
program as an interpreter: "/bin/sh". If you don't have a /bin/sh,
you will get a "file not found" when your shell (your login shell bash)
tries to execute /bin/sh.

> Either this needs to be fixed for the general case before 0.7.8, or I need
> to document what is going on the web site someplace. Who wants to give me
> a *thwap* with the clue stick?

The "correct" thing to do is for the top-level configure to NOT do
"/path/to/config.sub" and hope it works. It should do
"$SHELL /path/to/config.sub". If $PATH is not set, it will evaluate
to nothing, and the first line of the file will be parsed. On
Win32, our makefiles should call "SHELL=bash.exe /path/to/configure",
so that SHELL will be set when it needs to be.

--
Shaw Terwilliger