Re: Very very long dialogs...

Subject: Re: Very very long dialogs...
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 21:31:22 CST

At 09:15 PM 1/31/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>I have a horrible sin to confess. It was I who added all the English
>messages to the foreign languges string files (which I now understand was
>a serious mistake.)

Oh, it's not *that* serious. ;-) You make it sound like you deserve to be
boiled in hot oil for a mistake which isn't even donut-worthy. :-) :-)

>However, I am not sure why the format is appearing
>incorrectly, as the string is the same for the english and other versions
>(as far as I can tell). However, I want to apologize profusely for
>causing this problem.

Take a look at how Henrik solved the problem. Essentially, instead of using
the C-style \n \t syntax to get those ASCII characters into the string, he's
instead using the XML-ified ampersand-pound syntax.

This is needed because those strings are getting loaded from an XML file via
the expat parser, which thinks the slash and the n are two different
characters.

The reason this extra work *isn't* needed for English is because that string
never *went* through the XML parser.

Paul