Re: gdk and fonts

Subject: Re: gdk and fonts
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 21:33:58 CDT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

> I'll do that in a few days, after I have a chance to see if whether
> Abi is doing the wrong thing with respect to the gdk API. Meantime,
> here is my not-quite-qualified-to-comment view:
>
> In gdkfont.c, in gdk_char_width_wc(), for character values which are not in
> the min,max range for the given font the function XTextWidth() is called
> with an argument which has been specifically downcast to a char. A
> call to XTextWidth16() seems more appropriate.
>
> Similarly, in gdk_text_extents_wc(), the passed-in array of wide
> characters is copied into an array of 8bit characters, and
> XTextExtents() is called. A call to XTextExtents16() seems more
> appropriate.
>
> In gdkdraw.c, in gdk_draw_text_wc(), the passed-in array of wide
> characters is copied into an array of 8bit characters, and
> XDrawString() is called. A call to XDrawString16() seems more
> appropriate.

Hi Bill,
        I'm trying to make BUlleted lists work. The best way to do this
would be to insert a unicode UCS_BULLET into abi. This currently doesn't
work. I have not yet had the time to trace the problem all the way to
Abi's unicode font problems because there are lots of other bugs that have
to be squashed before then, however I suspect that fater all the bugs are
squashed in the list code we still won't be able to display unicode wide
fonts.

hj submitted a patch that enabled abi to write in Chinese but it was never
applied. You might want to look in the archives around March and April and
see what his patch did to the font sets. hj is a very good programmer and
I suspect we may learn a lot from the patch he submitted.

Cheers

Martin