Re: gdk and fonts

Subject: Re: gdk and fonts
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 06:56:35 CDT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

> ms> however I suspect that fater all the bugs are squashed in the list
> ms> code we still won't be able to display unicode wide fonts.
>
> I think you are right, but I believe the simple reason is that the
> fonts Abi distributes/uses don't contain any glyphs above 0xFF. I'm
> not completely certain of this because I haven't stumbled onto the
> right tool to confirm that for me (and I mean stumbled because I
> haven't looked too hard). They are Type 1 fonts in
> "StandardEncoding", which I think means only 256 slots. (In case it's
> not obvious, I'm talking through my hat a bit on this font stuff.)

We have two font sets that aren't "standard encoding". These are the
"Standard Symbols" and "Dingbats" font sets. For the bullet character,
fire up "insert Symbols" chhose the "Standard Symbols" fonts and you will
see a nice round bullet amongst the symbols. Unfortunately to use this
means changing the font set to "Standard Symbols" then changing it back
again also as was discovered recently "Standard Symbols" inserted in unix
do not display corrctly when the same document is openned in Windows.

I will have a look at the container functionality. It might be possible to
bundle a list label into a container which holds just the font set needed.

> What value are you trying to use for the bullet character? 0xB7 is a
> bullet looking thing (which also displays properly in Abi 0.7.10), but
> it's too small for the characters that go with it. That is, if you
> use 12pt type, you probably would want to use 0xB7 bullets at 20pt or
> something like that.

Cheers

Martin