Re: Legal stuff

Subject: Re: Legal stuff
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 08:29:00 CDT

No te preocupes.

First of all, remember that the entity "AbiSource, Inc." no longer
exists in the formal sense. It did exist, and it was a subsidiary
of SourceGear. However, that subsidiary has been folded into the
parent with all of its assets transferred. We need to do a massive
search and replace on the code to fix all those copyright messages,
but we just haven't gotten around to doing it. We'll take care of
it sooner or later.

And, more to the point of your question: SourceGear owns only those
portions of the AbiWord source code which were produced by its
employees. We certainly do not claim copyright on the word produced
by community developers on this project.

There are now `wc -l abi/CREDITS.txt` contributors to the AbiWord, more
or less, and likewise, there are approximately that many copyright
holders. AbiWord is like the Linux kernel. If you want to take it
proprietary, you can, but you have to get the written consent of
everyone in the CREDITS file.

AbiWord, like the Linux kernel, will always be Free software.