Re: Search Page

Subject: Re: Search Page
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 08:48:51 CDT

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Ash wrote:

> I found a CGI script that we can link the help search function/menu to. The cgi
> script needs to go into your cgi directory, wherever that is. For me its
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin. If it's different for you then you will have to change that
> in both the .htm and cgi file.

Ahh what are you talking about here ... putting the search CGI
perl script on the AbiSource web site? Hope so since 1) Not
everyone has Perl, 2) Not everyone has a web server running
in which they can run cgi scripts. I would say that it would
be fine to put the documentation and search stuff on AbiSources
web site and then have a seperate help menu that would be
a network connection to the Abi site.

> If you want me to add the little table of links that accompany most of the
> help files I can do that if you want. Also, if you can give me the directories
> of the archives(the path) I can make them searchable as well. For now it
> doesn't seem that the documentation is up. If it is can you post me a link or
> details.
>
> Also, I have another question about design. Should the help menu bring up a
> dialog, where you can click on a link to open the actual help file, or should
> it just open the help file?

I think that it should just bring up your local web browser to
a main help index page and then just let you go from there.

If you want a good example, you should take a look at the BeOS
help system. All HTML linked together with several top
level indexes/table of contents.

Thomas