Re: Building on Windows 98

Subject: Re: Building on Windows 98
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 17:10:43 CDT

> Hi
> I just got started with Abiword the other day, I admit to being very new
> developing large scale open source projects, in fact I'm pretty new to
> programming in general but I love the idea of everyone contributing.
Anyway,
> it took me nearly two days to build the source code (I told you I was new
at
> this), I am on a Windows 98 system and I thought the build instructions
were
> not totally clear (no offence). It occurred to me that there might be a
few
> people who, like me, have had difficulty in building Abiword, I thought
that
> perhaps a few people who would otherwise have contributed might have been
> put off by not being able to build the source right away, this would
account
> for the fact that there are more people who subcribe to the mailing list
> than actually contribute, these people are probably also running Windows
98.
> The upshot of all this is that I wrote step by step instructions for
> building Abiword on Windows 98, you can find these instructions at
> http://members.fortunecity.com/shakilla/buildabi.htm it also includes the
> files needed for installing the CVS & cygnus software.
> I hope this helps someone.
>
> Allan Clark

Allan - I checked out the web site. Not a bad step-by-step for us newbies.
Just wished it was available as I was learning how.

A couple of comments - instead of 'cd ...' to all those directories to lauch
batch files, I find it easier to stick in the abi directory and type the
batch files path directly 'c:\progra~\...\bin\vcvars32' etc. Then when
cygwin.bat is launched the pwd is already correct and typing make gets you
there. Just a suggestion.

Additionally, I am going to point you to one of my previous messages to help
out with MSVC stuff. I built a project workspace, some project files and a
perl script to keep it up to date. You can find it here: