Type 1 font handling in (latest) Linux version?

Subject: Type 1 font handling in (latest) Linux version?
From: J. P. Blevins (jpb39@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 06:26:35 CDT

Since I already have Adobe Type 1 fonts on my machine, I wanted to
substitute them for the GS equivalents included with AbiWord.

I noticed some odd behaviour, and would be interested to know if there
are better workarounds than the ones I have found:

First, AbiWord aborts if it doesn't find the default font
AbiSource-Times New Roman. Associating this name with different .pfa
files in the fonts.dir avoids the problem, but is there any way to have
the program look for Monotype-Times New Roman PS by default?

Second, there doesn't seem to be support for a width value. For
example, if I try to use Courier roman by adding the .pfa and .afm files
and adding the following line to the fonts.dir

com.pfa -Adobe-Courier-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

AbiWord defaults to Times New Roman. If however, I substitute `regular'
for `medium' in

com.pfa -Adobe-Courier-regular-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

everything works fine.

Finally, if I add the Times family, with the small caps and old style
figure sets, I get a single family, Times, which consists of just the
small caps and old style figures. The workaround is to use Times New
Roman for text, and add just the small caps, etc. from the Times family.

Apologies if these are known issues, though I could not find any
references to them in the archives.

-Jim Blevins

--
Research Centre for English and Applied Linguistics
University of Cambridge        tel: +44 1223 332334