Re: "Unprintable characters" in dialog box

Subject: Re: "Unprintable characters" in dialog box
From: sam th (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 07:29:27 CDT

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Randy Kramer wrote:

> In Word (97), under Tools | Options, one can "turn on" "nonprinting
> characters. This will display the backwards P for a paragraph (mark), a
> right arrow (->) for a tab, and an elevated period for a space. It will
> also display hidden text and will display optional hyphens. (Which I
> don't recall ever seeing (hyphens), even though I typically leave this
> option selected.)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. I'm guessing these would be considered glyphs?

Yeah, but that's not that significant. A glyph is any shape displayed on
the screen, and opposed to the character (an abstraction) that it
represents. The italic and regular Times New Roman a's are different
glyphs, but related characters.

> 2. I don't know what crop marks for margins are.

In abiword, when Show Paragraphs is turned on, horizontal and vertical
lines appears in order to show where the margins are.

> Randy Kramer

                                sam th
                                sam@uchicago.edu
                                http://www.abisource.com/~sam