Modeless dialogs on Win32

Subject: Modeless dialogs on Win32
From: Thomas Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 08:01:30 CDT

   This is the last time I'll bring this up, I promise. :)

   After looking around, playing around, asking around and reading more
documentation than I care to remember, I've come to the conclusion that
implementing modeless dialogs on Windows the way that we previously
discussed is going to be a big pain in the butt. The Windows standard (and
the stated "way that it should be" in the MS docs) is for inactive modeless
dialogs to stay on *top* of their parent, *not* to fall behind them (which
is what I've been trying to accomplish). I've found a hack that solves
this, but it causes two other problems:
   1. Modeless dialogs show up in the task bar, the Alt-Tab list, etc
   2. Minimizing the document window doesn't minimize any open modeless
dialogs

   I'm positive that I can find a way to remove the dialogs from the
taskbar, and I'm also positive that I can hack the entire modeless dialog
structure we have such that the document window(s) will tell the dialogs to
minimize when necessary. But my question is this: is it worth the hassle
(and the bugs that I'm sure it will create)? Or is this a situation where
we should just follow the Win32 rules and disregard the fact that AbiWord
doesn't work quite the same on Windows as it does on Unix?

   -Tom