Re: Modeless dialogs on Win32

Subject: Re: Modeless dialogs on Win32
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 21:41:16 CDT

At 09:01 AM 7/12/00 -0400, you wrote:

> This is the last time I'll bring this up, I promise. :)
>
> After looking around, playing around, asking around and reading more
>documentation than I care to remember, I've come to the conclusion that
>implementing modeless dialogs on Windows the way that we previously
>discussed is going to be a big pain in the butt. The Windows standard (and
>the stated "way that it should be" in the MS docs) is for inactive modeless
>dialogs to stay on *top* of their parent, *not* to fall behind them (which
>is what I've been trying to accomplish). I've found a hack that solves
>this, but it causes two other problems:

We shouldn't be slaves to the MS standard, and especially in this case. I
think it's fine, and in my case preferable, if inactive modeless dialogs
fall to the background.

I am somewhat confused by your statement though. As it currently stands,
as of yesterday's build: Word count goes to the background, while Insert
symbol stays in the foreground. I wanted to log this as a bug because they
should act the same. I just hadn't been able to decide which way it
*should* be. Since you ask, my vote would be for the "easiest" way. If
that means dialogs fall to the background, so much the better. My only
concern would be that when you select the item from the menu, it should pop
back on top of the document window.

So, am I on crack, or do the Word count and Insert Symbol dialog behave
different on Windows relative to this issue?

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist