Re: "Unprintable characters" in dialog box

Subject: Re: "Unprintable characters" in dialog box
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 13:47:59 CDT

sam> I thought that was the idea. ??

sam> These characters are displayed on screen (if you want) but they
sam> do not print. Hence 'non-printing'. However, I certainly agree
sam> that this name is not particularily user-friendly.

That's a legitimate interpretation that I hadn't considered. It also
begs the question, though, of why there is not an option to print
those things as well. There are still plenty of people who work by
marking up hardcopy prints of iterations of documents. If there is a
reason to see formatting characters on the screen, there is a reason
(for a smaller number of people) for seeing them on printouts.

I haven't looked at how hard this would be to do, but it might not be
too bad since the printer graphics stuff uses most of the same
rendering logic as the display stuff. In fact, it tends to have
exceptions to skip things like this.

(ThatOtherWordProcessor doesn't allow them to be printed.)