Re: commit -- segfault handler on Unix

Subject: Re: commit -- segfault handler on Unix
From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:42:50 CDT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, sam th wrote:

> > > 5) Should this catch other signals (SIGTERM, the bus error signal, etc)?
> >
> > The general behaviour that I have seen is that when the program is kill'd,
> > it should be the equivilent to the user quitting it.
>
> Does this mean we should prompt the user to save? I don't like that
> idea. I think we should handle all signals that terminate the program
> (SIGTERM, SIGBUS?, SIGABRT, ...) with the backup that I do for
> SIGSEGV.

The behaviour for SIGTERM should (IMHO) be to behave as if
File->Exit had been selected (except that a graceful cleanup
should be attempted if nested SIGTERMs are received).

SIG{BUS,ABRT,SEGV,ILL} are all very scary, and the best you
can hope for is to try to write out a backup copy of all open
documents somewhere.

Matthew.