Re: Visual Studio Workspace

Subject: Re: Visual Studio Workspace
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 14:55:12 CDT

Thomas Briggs wrote:
> > > - msvcprt.lib is missing in Linker Options. Abi won't build without
it.

> > That's interesting. AFAIK the "prt" stuff is all about standard C++
> > library (e.g. iostream) which would mean that it would *have* to
> > use templates.
> > Since templates is (at least was) explicitly forbidden in AbiWord, would
> > you like to share some of the functions the linker can't find without
it?

> mbrtowc and wcrtomb. I had to add that lib yesterday to get Abi to
> build.
>
> Forgive the stupid question, but how does linking against this lib
cause
> the use of templates? If they're not used anywhere in the Abi code, how
> could they just magically appear?

You got me wrong. It's not linking against this librariy that cause the use
of templates, it's using some parts of the standard C++ library (that
inherently uses templates) that needs this library. That's why i was led to
believe that some template stuff indeed was included. After looking into
this I found out that this library also contains the wchar_t functions.

Sorry about the confusion.

/Mike (please don't CC)