Re: Smart Quotes Issues (was Re: patch: SmartQuotesEnable preference item)

Subject: Re: Smart Quotes Issues (was Re: patch: SmartQuotesEnable preference item)
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 02:53:56 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Lehmann" <aaronl@vitelus.com>
To: "WJCarpenter" <bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 4:55 AM
Subject: RE: Smart Quotes Issues (was Re: patch: SmartQuotesEnable preference
item)

| > sam> c) Text - no smart quotes, use regular quotes
| > sam> d) HTML - no smart quotes (this is *very* important(
| >
| > How will you save other non-ASCII, non-Latin1 characters in these
| > formats? I guess anyone who saves a WP document as text pretty much
| > expects it to suck, so we don't care much there.
|
| For text - use unicode as a last resort? Good question there. What does
| MSWord do if you save japanese characters as text?
|
| For HTML - shouldn't be a problem... HTML lots of encoding stuff

Yes, but the character set in HTML documents is *always* Unicode, even if you
use ASCII character (en)coding.

| and while
| I'm not familiar with it it should not be difficult. Is Unicode in HTML
| widely supported?

IE supports it pretty well (with the exception of combined and modified
characters). Navigator 4.x *does* support it, but it has a annoying bug. If you
use an encoding other than UTF-8, it doesn't display Unicode characters. E.g.,
if you use &#8211; in document marked as iso-8859-1, this is displayed as box
(unavailable glyph), but if you use UTF-8, it's displayed correctly (as an
en-dash). Mozilla has *great* Unicode-support.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer