Re: development environments

Subject: Re: development environments
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 06:13:16 CDT

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

> I'm about the change the laptop where I currently "live", and the new
> one will have a lot more disk space. If I wanted to sooner or later
> set up BeOS and/or QNX environments sufficient to build Abi, what size
> partitions would I likely need? I will also have one or more Win32
> partitions for other reasons, but I think I have the Abi info for
> that. It may take a little longer to set up the MacOS environment on
> my laptop. :-)
>
> Of course, the follow-on questions are along the lines of "what's the
> path of least resistance to installing BeOS and/or QNX for this
> purpose?" My intent would be to do builds for my own regression
> testing, "light" porting, cross-platform feature comparison, etc.

For QNX Realtime Platform you can install directly to a partition
or you can install into a file living inside your windows filesystem.
Your choice. I find the windows file particularily convenient
since it means no re-partitioning and allows me to actually have
several different configurations of the same OS on the same
machine very easily.

For BeOS you will want to have your own partition if you are
going with the full release. I believe that the free release
will live in a Windows file similar to the QNX one, but when
it was first released it didn't have the development tools. This
may have changed since I looked at the first early release.

Note that the QNX/Photon and BeOS ports are the poor cousins
of the Windows and Linux builds right now (though the QNX
port isn't really all that far behind).

Thomas