Re: smart quote algorithm

Subject: Re: smart quote algorithm
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 19:11:21 CDT

phma> What happens to the following?
phma> '''
phma> '"'"

Without working through the algorithm, let me comment that it's not
obvious to me as a human being what should happen in those cases. In
my imaginary style book, (for the first line) a single quote should be
surrounded by double quotes to quote it, and (for the second line)
quotes should nest properly (except for apostrophe exceptions). So,
like all good compilers, I disclaim all assembly code produced via a
source code syntax error. :-)