Re: international smart quotes?

Subject: Re: international smart quotes?
From: Robert Hart (ab6rah@bath.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 05:14:08 CDT

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

->As I sort of expected, I'm getting a bit of an education on the use of
->quotation marks in non-English writing. (No, no, trust me ... I
->actually have crossed the oceans surrounding the US. Heck, I've even
->been to Canada a couple of times. :-) Please keep these examples
->coming, as I find them quite interesting.
->

I think you're going to have to be really careful about what you refer to as
'English'. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you Americans and us
English have slightly different ideas about how quoting should be done.

I don't think any of the differences would effect your algorithm - I think we
just use single quotes alot more. Just be warned.....

Rob