Re: international smart quotes?

Subject: Re: international smart quotes?
From: Caolan McNamara (cmc@stardivision.de)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 05:28:28 CDT

At 11:14 21.07.00 +0100, Robert Hart wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:
>
>->As I sort of expected, I'm getting a bit of an education on the use of
>->quotation marks in non-English writing. (No, no, trust me ... I
>->actually have crossed the oceans surrounding the US. Heck, I've even
>->been to Canada a couple of times. :-) Please keep these examples
>->coming, as I find them quite interesting.
>->
>
>I don't think any of the differences would effect your algorithm - I think we
>just use single quotes alot more. Just be warned.....

Just to follow up here, not on quotemarks per se, but unicode.org has
technical
reports on similiar issues at
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/index.html
which will notify of some gotchas in other places, and asking on the
unicode list
will help flush out these things, in fact I have a vague memory of a
discussion about
historical quote information and different script and language usages.

C.