Re: gnome-xml and policy

Subject: Re: gnome-xml and policy
From: Joaquin Cuenca (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:41:56 CDT

--- Goran Thyni <goran@kirra.net> wrote:
> Martin Sevior wrote:
> >
> > Hi Goran,
> > I guess the first question that springs
> to mind is: What does
> > gnome-xml give us that expat doesn't?
>
> 1. Integration: all other packages in Gnome Office
> uses gnome-xml

And?

> will be playing more nicely when we move to
> bonobo.

false.

> 2. Integration: glade (fast UI design for gnome)
> uses gnome-xml

If I cite a bunch of apps using expat, then expat will
stay?

I don't want to convert this thread in flames, but the
only "improvement" that I see changing from expat to
libxml is that a normal user will have in his system
libxml and not expat, so changing from expat to libxml
gives the user a few additional kb's...

I don't see that like a big improvement, but if you
have a working patch, I will take a look with
pleasure.

P.S.: In your next message you say that you have a
working patch with libxml 2.0, that nobody (nearly)
have in his system, and that nobody (nor gnumeric, nor
dia) uses. So if a working patch implies libxml 2.0,
I think that the best choose will be to wait a bit
(libxml 2.0 will not be widely used until gnome 2.0).
What do you think?

=====
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
e-mail: e98cuenc@yahoo.com