Re: gnome-xml and policy

Subject: Re: gnome-xml and policy
From: Goran Thyni (goran@kirra.net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 09:19:18 CDT

Joaquin Cuenca wrote:

> --- Goran Thyni <goran@kirra.net> wrote:
> > 1. Integration: all other packages in Gnome Office
> > uses gnome-xml
> And?

We save footprint and can look at how things are done in other Gnome
apps.

> > will be playing more nicely when we move to
> > bonobo.
> false.

Bonobo i not ready yet (so we'll see),
anyway if I say gdome instead will you agree.

> > 2. Integration: glade (fast UI design for gnome)
> > uses gnome-xml
> If I cite a bunch of apps using expat, then expat will
> stay?

Expat will stay,
you have to explicitly enable gnome-xml otherwise Expat is used.

> I don't want to convert this thread in flames, but the
> only "improvement" that I see changing from expat to
> libxml is that a normal user will have in his system
> libxml and not expat, so changing from expat to libxml
> gives the user a few additional kb's...

My plan is as follows:
1. make AbiWord and gnome-xml play (this patch)
2. use DOM from gnome-xml to read, store, update and write
   prefs and documents
3. use DOM to implement structured editing mode in AbiWord
   (something like Abode FrameMaker)

Step 1 is, I admit, not a big improvement, but lays the
ground for other development. It does not break expat builds,
I will make sure that nothing I do will break expat builds.

When we have enough benefits to merit a switch from
expat to gnome-xml as the default XML library we can
renew the discussion for now it is just an option for
developers to try out.

> I don't see that like a big improvement, but if you
> have a working patch, I will take a look with
> pleasure.

Please do.

> P.S.: In your next message you say that you have a
> working patch with libxml 2.0, that nobody (nearly)
> have in his system, and that nobody (nor gnumeric, nor
> dia) uses. So if a working patch implies libxml 2.0,
> I think that the best choose will be to wait a bit
> (libxml 2.0 will not be widely used until gnome 2.0).
> What do you think?

version 2 if needed since unicode handling in v1 is not
close enough to expat.
By the time we have enough code to merit a switch v2 will
be the standard.
I want it into the CVS, else I have to maintain a seperate
repository for my changes which will make a merge much more work
in the future and the patch will be a unreviewable jumbo patch.
Neither will we get the same opportunity to discuss the patches
and for others then me to contribute.
Again it does not break expat or anything else AFAICS.

regards,
Göran.