Re: Lists & bullets dialog box (was Re: Dialog Shots (fwd))

Subject: Re: Lists & bullets dialog box (was Re: Dialog Shots (fwd))
From: Joaquin Cuenca (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 19:48:32 CDT

--- Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Joaquin Cuenca wrote:
>
> > > I am very open to suggestions for a better
> looking
> > > dialog. Feel free to be
> > > opinionated!
> >
> > [WARNING: the following lines are inspired by
> > Word...]
> >
> > Martin, I think that when the user selects the
> lists &
> > bullets item in
> > the toolbar, we don't must to show a dialog box,
> but
> > only to create a
> > list. To do that, we have to split the actual
> toolbar
> > item in two
> > different items (a `list' item and a `bullets'
> item)
> > in order to know
> > the desired list type.
> >
> > If the user wants to stop the actual list, he only
> has
> > to start a new
> > line and press backspace. For instance, if we
> have:
> >
> > * Line 1
> > * Line 2|
> >

> We have this already :-) Once the user does this
> pressing "newline" no
> longer gives another list item. The "resume" feature
> restarts the list
> (which is not implemented yet).

:-) I'm a moron

> > and the user wants to finish the actual list, he
> has
> > to press [intro],
> > and [backspace]
> >
> > * Line 1
> > * Line 2 [intro pressed]
> > * |
> >

> Hmm I don't understand the distinction here. In
> multi-level lists stopping
> the list will promote the item into the level above.
>
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > * Line 1
> > * Line 2
> > | [backspace pressed]
> >
> > (quickier than the actual method...)
> >

> I hope that this is the current behaviour.

oh my god... I'm a double moron... :)

> > If the user wants to change the type of a list, or
> > change the starting
> > value, etc. he will have to select the "Lists &
> > bullets..." item in
> > the menubar (which will show the lists & bullets
> > dialog box), and then
> > change whatever he wants.
> >
> > What do you think, Martin?
>
> Welcome back Joaquin. It would have been nice to
> have had this
> conversation earlier when I asked about list buttons
> but hey I can always
> recode. My main concern at this point is the number
> of buttons we have in
> Abiword already. Adding four new ones will make for
> a really cluttered

Yeah, but we can add only the two most used lists
(bullets and arabic numbering starting by 1).
With my last toolbars split we have a bit more of
space, and I'm just finishing (I hope :) the
View->{Standard, Format, Extra} menu item (to
show/hide the toolbars). So one more icon will
doesn't do too much damage.

> environment. In addition I have been a dumb Word
> user for about 4 years
> now and I never learned about "promote" and "demote"
> buttons.
>
> My original plan was to have a button for numbered
> lists, a button for
> bullet lists and the menu item "Bullets and
> Numbering" to launch the
> dialog which provides the full functionality of the
> system to the user.

Perfect!

> I guess I prefer this to the Word four button
> approach. They can get away
> with this because of their configurable toolbar (a
> real nice feature by
> the way) although at the price of not providing the
> functionality easily
> available to the user.

Anyway, it's a killer feature. I hope to see such a
toolbar in gtk+ one day...

> I think the two buttons to
> start/stop numbered and
> bullet lists ala word together with the "Numbers and
> Bullets" dialog is a
> nice compromise. I can make the buttons appear
> raised or lowered depending
> on the state of current list.
>
> What do people think of this approach?

I think that it's the way to go.