Mac tools (was Re: Windows Weenie)

Subject: Mac tools (was Re: Windows Weenie)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 22:40:22 CDT

At 10:55 AM -0400 7/21/00, Jon Niehof wrote:
> > Meanwhile, it has been sad to watch MacOS lose pace with the times. My
>> wife is one of the few die-hard Mac users I still know.
>I spent a summer doing web devel on the Mac a few years ago, and gained a
>lot of respect for the platform. I still say that QuickKeys is essential
>for being able to actually *use* the thing, tho.

        If you are a person who prefers the keyboard to the mouse,
then yes, a macro program is a big part of it.

>Frankly, I think part of
>what's hurting the platform right now is its difficulty in grabbing Open
>Source/ free software mindshare.

        I don't know if that's what really hurting it, but you are
right, it doesn't have the mindshare - but for many different
reasons. This was part of our discussion with Eric Raymond during
his recent keynote at the MacHack (<http://www.machack.com>)
conference. I'd be glad to have this discussion (why open source
doesn't work the same on the Mac as it does with other platforms)
with anyone who is interested.

>I don't know of any free devel tools for
>MAc--enlighten me if they exist, because I'm planning on picking up one of
>the original iMacs sometime to play with, and would love to be able to
>code.

        They do - the main one being MPW (Macintosh Programmer's
Workshop) from Apple. However, most professional development on the
Mac is done with CodeWarrior from Metrowerks - a commercial tool.

        With the forthcoming Mac OS X, you'll find gcc (and related
tools) already there for your programming enjoyment.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65