RE: UT_UCS_Bullet

Subject: RE: UT_UCS_Bullet
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 02:34:38 CDT

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, WJCarpenter wrote:

> ms> I've finally realized what your are doing with your Smart Quotes.
> ms> Could you use the same mechanism to display a unicode Bullet
> ms> defined as UT_UCS_Bullet? The current Bullet List code uses a bit
> ms> of kludge to display this glyph. It would be better to embed a
> ms> unicode UT_UCS_Bullet and display and print it properly.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
>
> If you mean, would it be possible to use remapGlyph() to display
> something printable if lists used UT_UCS_Bullet but the user didn't
> have that character in the font, then the answer is yes with caveats.
> remapGlyphs() doesn't change anything except which character is
> displayed. There is no opportunity to change fonts, sizes, or
> decorations like bold. Within those caveats, it's a simple matter of
> adding a mapping for UT_UCS_Bullet to the default list in
> preferences.

Hmm that's no so good.

> If you're asking if the upcoming smart quotes feature could be used to
> insert a UT_UCS_Bullet when the user types something else, I suppose
> it would be possible, though I'd have to know more specifics before I
> could be sure.
>
> My guess is that you don't mean either of those things, so can you
> elaborate?

What I mean is to ask: Is it possible output a Bullet glyph that matches
the current font size if abi sees the unicode value that corresponds to
UT_UCS_Bullet? The glyphs could come from the Standard Symbols fonts or
anywhere else.

There is a well defined unicode value for a bullet glyph but since Abi has
no unicode fonts at that value nothing appears. I guess a better solution
would be to include the fontset that overlaps the unicode UT_UCS_Bullet
value along with all standard fonts. Grr... I really don't understand how
unicode is meant to work in gtk so I thought this would be an easy way
out. What I want is as described above....

Cheers

Martin