Re: commit - Insert symbol button (was Re: commit - Show/hide Standard/Format/Extra toolbars)

Subject: Re: commit - Insert symbol button (was Re: commit - Show/hide Standard/Format/Extra toolbars)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 01:43:43 CDT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, sam th wrote:

> > > Please, of these, only spelling should be even remotely considered.
> >
> > But wouldn't it be best to at least aim at having icons and buttons that can
> > be added *by the user* if they use that feature often? When I was writing my
> > physics dissertation I defined shortcuts and toolbar buttons for equation
> > editing, symbol insertion and quick picture insertion. User-definable
> > toolbars strikes me as a laudable long-term goal that can be aimed at with
> > these buttons. They don't necessarily have to make it in the default
> > version, but their existence is not, in itself, a bad thing.
> >

> Of course, user-configurable icons would be great (patches gladly
> accepted). However, in the default version (which is all that we
> currently have) we should try to avoid the clutter.

Joaquins latest patch gives us an extra toolbar which we can show or hide
at will. This is the closest we'll have to a configurable toolbar for a
long time. I like the idea of populating the toolbar with shortcuts to
various dialogs. We could also make it a default not to show the extra's
toolbar.

Having put in the extra's toolbar we might as well use it.

My 2 cents

Martin