Re: taking off buttons (was Re: commit - Insert Symbol Button)

Subject: Re: taking off buttons (was Re: commit - Insert Symbol Button)
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 19:32:35 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "sam th" <sam@uchicago.edu>
To: "Tim LaDuca" <mail@timl.org>
Cc: "abiword developer list" <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2000 9:00 PM

| On 30 Jul 2000, Tim LaDuca wrote:
|
| > > Please, of these, only spelling should be even remotely considered. I
| > > know you are at least partially kidding, but I don't even think that
| > > insert symbol needs to be on the toolbar. People just don't use it that
| > > often. Additionally, some of the other buttons could be taken off, once
| > > we replicate their functionality in dialogs (hint hint), such as 1.5
| > > spacing and space-before.
| >
| > I can't help but chime in here, the functionality is already there! :-)
| > I vote that the para_before and line_spacing buttons be removed. In fact
| > if no one beats me too it I'll do it myself, as soon as I learn how to
| > use "diff". :-)
|
| The line before buttons might do well to be removed, at least to the
| extras toolbar. But keep the line spacing buttons. They're very useful,
| IMHO, although the 1.5 spacing button has never been used by me. The real
| problem is that (AFAIK) there is no other way to set these options. So
| before you remove the buttons, consider adding another way to set it. :-)

I think it would be best if there were toolbars for almost *all*
commands/features (including line spacing, insert symbol and others), but that
these should be turned off by default. Similar features should be grouped on one
toolbar. For example, we can have a toolbar for 'para_before' and 'line_spacing'
(or perhaps one toolbar for each?), which would be off by default. People who
use these functions often, can turn the toolbar on. Bold, italics,
strikethrough and other inline text formatting buttons should be grouped on one
toolbar, which would on by default. Of course, this would lead to a big increase
the number of toolbars ... :/

--#
Karl Ove Hufthammer