Re: fields -- known bugs in the existing implementation

Subject: Re: fields -- known bugs in the existing implementation
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 19:51:47 CDT

Great summary Paul! I don't know if I have time to read through all that
though.

Just a few updates:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:

> In general, the existing preliminary implementation didn't thoroughly
> address a number of subtle UI issues, such as:
>
> - interaction with inherited formatting
> - field-specific context menus
> - update frequency
> - cursor size and motion

<snip>

I believe Jesper has fixed the cursor motion problems around Fields. They
can also be sub and superscripted as of now.

Next is that cutting/pasting of fields does not work at all. This is a big
problem for lists.

I suspect that Fields inserted at the start of a line cannot acquire the
font and size of the text they're imbedded in.

My final peeve about fields is that is it very difficult to selected them
with the cursor. You you have to position the cursor just before the start
of the field and drag the cursor to precisely the end of the field before
it is selected. It should be possible to selected a field from just a
little drag somewhere within the Field.

Good Luck!

Martin