FreeBSD version (was Re: Type 1 postscript font support questions...)

Subject: FreeBSD version (was Re: Type 1 postscript font support questions...)
From: Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 14:32:40 CDT

Note to Donald Burr: I've been tweaking Abiword, and they asked me to
use the CVS sources, which build failed on FreeBSD-4.0. Release. I
don't know if you are on that list, but thought you might be
interested....

Paul Rohr writes:
> Sounds like that may be the problem -- AFAIK, Holdsworth is running 3.4
> instead of 4.0. Ideally, we'd be releasing sources which build cleanly on
> both versions, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not true.

Ugh. 3.4 uses an antique version of gcc as the default compiler (2.7?
2.72?). 4.0 upgraded to 2.95.2 (hurrah), which could well be the
source of the problem.

> Does anyone know whether those patches also build on earlier versions of
> FreeBSD, or is an upgrade to 4.0 required?
> I'm also not clear on whether we can safely expect most FreeBSD to have
> already upgraded to 4.0, or are we going to have to make the usual tough
> choice about whether to force the rest to upgrade?

I can't help much with those questions, as I don't know the answers. I
believe the FreeBSD ports collection only works on 4.x and 5.x systems
(4.x is the stable branch, 5.x is the development branch; -RELEASE is
a snapshot of the stable branch), but I'm not positive. If that's so,
then I'd say requiring 4.0 for builds is probably reasonable. If ports
are required to build on all thee, then it should be a problem.

> >If someone were interested in fixing this, I could mail them the
> >patches in the ports tree to look at.
> I'm 2000 miles away from that build machine, so I'll pass. ;-)
> PS: As soon as someone volunteers to be the maintainer of the FreeBSD
> builds, we'll happily defer to their decisions on issues like this. (hint,
> hint)

Well, I thought about it, and it's not something I'm interested in.
AbiWord isn't the kind of thing I typically enjoy working on. I'm
contributing fixes so that the fonts I've been using for 10 years will
work properly (and I'm quite happy to see how quick I'm getting
feedback on the patches - congratulations to the lot of you). I've
added the person responsible for maintaining the FreeBSD port to the
conversation (assuming he wasn't listening already); he should have
better input to the questions, and might be interested in doing that,
as it could make the port mainteance easier.

        Thanx,
        <mike