libole2

Subject: libole2
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 15:38:55 CDT

OK, now I'm just really curious:

Could someone explain what the purpose of the recent libole2 code
changes was?

I saw this code change pending. I saw what appeared to be a great
deal of consensus that it should be committed, from several people
here on the list who are more active than I. So, I assumed there was
a reason for the change of which I was simply unaware.

Then I saw some discussion about this code causing a huge slowdown in
the Word importer, and yet the consensus for a commit still appeared
quite strong.

Now, this particular fragment of code is irking me, because it
completely breaks the Windows build, so I'm wondering about its
purpose.

Am I missing something? :-)

For the record, this code appears to simply not even compile under
Windows. I suspect that it was never compiled under Win32 before it
was checked in. The current build problem is the non-presence of
mode_t on that platform, but we are likely to encounter other problem
before this code gets back to the functionality we had before.

Last week, our Word importer worked. Now it does not. What did we
gain, and how can we recover our losses?

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation