(Newbie) Win32 Builds using Make / Cygwin

Subject: (Newbie) Win32 Builds using Make / Cygwin
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 14:28:53 CDT

(Jeremy: Sorry I didn't give you any feedback earlier. I think your
instructions work OK, but, as a newbie, I needed to learn several other
things -- am documenting those. Here are some questions, for you or
anyone who can help.)

Thanks to many people (especially Jeremy Sheeley), I'm having some
success in building AbiWord for VC++6 Win32 using the make files and
Cygwin. (I'm also trying to build AbiWord using VC++6 project files
sent to me by Mike Nordell and will provide a separate update on the
status of that effort.)

I am able to build the release and debug versions. However, when I try
to use the debugger:

1. The debugger cannot find the source code files. Every time it
encounters code from a new .c or .cpp file, the debugger prompts me for
the location. If I tell the debugger where the file is, it seems to
remember the location between sessions. I just don't want to answer a
prompt for the location of each source code file. Is there a better
way? (See the next problem -- they might be related, or perhaps the
solution to that problem will also solve this problem.)

2. I cannot "browse" classes, etc. (There is no information on the
ClassView pane of the Workspace window.) Apparently I must build the
.SBR files and then the .BSC (Browse information file). Has anyone
modified the standard make files to include building these?

Followup: If someone knows how to build the .SBR and .BSC files, is
there any reason we should not include this capability in the standard
make files (for Win32 only)?