commit -- fixed -- Martin's segfault on startup

Subject: commit -- fixed -- Martin's segfault on startup
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 02:39:32 CDT

Martin was kind enough to spend hours debugging this on IRC with me. We
both checked out clean source trees, compared our systems, compiled the
source on other systems, and more. We tried and we tried, but he always
got the segfault on startup and I didn't. He even sent me dozens of
megabytes of binaries that didn't work for him that worked fine for me. We
concluded that his system was messed up and almost gave up. Actually
thinking for once, I asked him for a stack trace. When I saw the stack
trace, I was enlightened and I fixed the bug. I still have no clue why he
was seeing it and I wasn't, but we've both tested my fix and found no
problems. Then again, I would be very happy if Bob or Paul Egli could try
their hands at making this crash a bit before the release happens.

By the way, where we met on IRC was #abiword-dev on EFNet. I'm hoping that
this channel can serve as a meetingplace and can be used for dialogues
like the one I just had where there is a lot of conversation required from
both sides and the mailing list is simply too slow. EFNet can be accessed
via many servers, of which my personal favorites are irc.ais.net and
irc.lightning.net. Feel free to join me there.

Also, I appologize for not being so active on the list. My DNS is messed
up so all mails people send to me will bouce, and I can't recieve the list
either. I check the archives several times a day and try to participate in
it but I can only start new threads because I don't recieve the list
locally.

My 2 CVS commits follow:

Fix for the crash on startup that Martin was seeing (I hope!)
CVS:
CVS:
CVS: Committing in .
CVS:
CVS: Modified Files:
CVS: src/text/fmt/xp/fl_BlockLayout.cpp
CVS: src/text/fmt/xp/fl_DocLayout.cpp
CVS:

Tiny cleanup. Sorry, now you all need to 'make clean' :(
CVS:
CVS:
CVS: Committing in .
CVS:
CVS: Modified Files:
CVS: src/text/fmt/xp/fl_BlockLayout.h
CVS:

Aaron Lehmann
"I may mess stuff up all the time, but at least I've only broken the build
once :)"