Normal mode patch, version 0.3

Subject: Normal mode patch, version 0.3
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 21:42:33 CDT

Maybe some old-timers from this list rememmber this beast. Paul Rohr
probably does. I first wrote this patch in the 0.3.4 days, and the first
two revisions were rejected because of their incompleteness and bugginess.
Today I decided to resurect normal mode support, and I applied the
multi-year-old patch to the current tree by hand. I started working on it
where I had left off.

This version no longer crashes when printing in normal mode, leaves rulers
the old way when switching to normal mode, or creates new pages with
different sizes than the existing pages. That is not to say that it is not
buggy. There are still many bugs that make this mode not ready for prime
time, the most significant of which is some confusion about bottom page
margins (when you press the up arrow key at the top of a page, it gets
very confused, asserts, and does not move the cursor at all, as well as
some other side effects of this margin confusion bug). I'm working on
these bugs. I think the easiest way to keep this patch up to date would be
to check it into CVS. The default Page Layout mode still works fine, and
if Normal mode is still not ready for prime time by our next release, we
can always comment out the menu items so that only Page Layout mode is
possible. Since this changes FV_View a lot to make it more flexible, I
would not want people to make changes to the old version while this is
still in development.

I'd appreciate your opinion on whether this should be checked into CVS or
not, since it doesn't really Just Work yet. As always, don't respond to my
address as my DNS is currently @#$%ed. I'll check the list archives.

Aaron Lehmann