Re: The 1.0 Jobs List ( :-)

Subject: Re: The 1.0 Jobs List ( :-)
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 07:54:44 CDT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, sam th wrote:
>
> > With suitable apologies to AC, here's what I think Needs To Be Done.
> >
> > Features (before 0.9.0)
> > --------------------------
> >
> > 4) Tabs dialog
> > On the abiword-dev IRC channel (which everyone should check out) aaron
> > said that he was potentially interested in working on shack's old patch
> > for this. However, it isn't really high priority for 1.0
> >
> The GUI expects TAB's in a number of place but like Aaron, I'm clueless as
> to what you actually use it for :-)
>
> > 5) Any other compatibility/platform issues
>
> As much as I would love a MAC or BE port I can't see this happening
> before 1.0. Once 1.0 is out and stable these less popular (with
> developers) platforms will have a stable target to shoot at. It appears
> Thomas will make sure QNX is ready at the 1.0 release. It would be really
> cool to have QNX powered abiword on your fridge :-)

Just bought a house ... so don't release 1.0 within the next month,
my wife tells me I'll be painting!

> > 4) All the other bugs - about 150
> > We've (or mostly Aaron, Martin and Jesper) have made a BIG dent in
> > bugzilla recently, but there is still a ways to go. It's all about
> > perfection. :-)
>
> I kind of thought than when 0.90 is released we would all go on a bug
> squashing frenzy :-)

I must say that coming from an OS vendor this model suits me very much.
I would consider all of these beta/pre 1.0 releases as internal releases.
Once you hit the stage where you are looking at making a final release,
you should go through a feature freeze and do nothing but use the
product and fix the problems that you find with it (granted this may
involve some heavy changes ... but NO MORE FEATURES!). Any one from
AbiSource want to comment on this train of thought?

> > 3) More GNOME integration
> > Here, it would be nice to have the gnome-print support that John Tunison
> > created work. Also, component integration with Dia, Gnumeric, etc would
> > be good.
>
> I'd really like this, however so far we've ducked the issue of what
> happens when it arrives and is not available on the other platforms. Do we
> add a "gnome" option in the menu bar of the gnome build? Press the button
> and insert other graphics files (jpgs, tiffs,ps, pdf), gnumeric
> spreadsheets, gb scripts, perl scripts, python scripts, lisp
> scripts,vector graphics, html, database access, minesweeper :-) Edit
> graphics files with gimp. This is a really powerful feature to have. It
> goes a long way towards making an abi environment superior to MS Office.
> In fact the graphics manipulation in gnome already is superior to Office.

This is not just an issue for gnome. For example Be's
translators would be great for the image import ... nothing
like that for other platforms. How does one save a minesweeper
session in their word processor by the way? =;-)

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf