Re: AbiWord 0.7.10

Subject: Re: AbiWord 0.7.10
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 07:46:06 CDT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Paul Rohr wrote:
> >
> > Correct. We've had a functioning modal word count dialog since February.
> > Once the modeless changes got introduced on Unix, that broke the other
> > platforms.
>
> I pointed out this would happen well before the dialog went modeless on
> Linux. I also asked if the lack of Windows wordcount would be a show
> stopper for 0.7.10. I hope a windows programmer will step up to the
> challenge of fixing it. It is a small change to give it's old
> functionality. It will be more work to make it auto-updating like Unix.
>
> I believe that we've now taken the attitude of let's make things work on
> one platform coz it is not so hard to get them going on others.

Absolutely ... the biggest problem I find is actually trying to
decide what things have changed on which platforms (so I can
compare what I'm aiming for), not actually getting the work done.

This is mainly a communication issue. For example when you changed
the behaviour of the dialogs to go Modeless (a good thing ... too
bad we didn't do it the first time around =;-) you sent a message
to the list. The time between me reading that message and actually
getting down and working on the dialog was a couple of weeks. In
the meantime other things changed as well. What happens is that
occasionaly things get lost in the noise. Myself I think that this
really needs to be tracked as part of the feature matrix, combined
with consistantly up to date screenshots. Just as an example as
I was going through comparing the unix code to the qnx/photon code,
I discovered that there was some pseudo code in the unix side to
disable/enable the rulers! I'm sure that this functionality was
announced on the list, but I totally missed it!

> Just to make things clear - I intend my next jobs to be to make
> Find/replace/spell modeless on Unix and gnome. This will break these
> dialogs on other platforms. If this is not a good idea please let me know.
>
> The believe the changes to do this are very small. Much easier than
> autoupdating "wordcount" but a windows programmer will have to fix them.

I think that these changes are good, even if it does force us to
when you do these changes. Perhaps what we need is commitment from
someone to do the Windows changes all within the space of a couple
of weeks.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf