Re: a trip down memory lane...

Subject: Re: a trip down memory lane...
From: Paul Cubbage (paul@opencountry.net)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 13:34:41 CDT

Paul Rohr wrote:

> Sometime when you've got some spare cycles to burn, it might be fun to grab the sources from one of the early releases, such as 0.3.0 (our first GPL release) or 0.1.5 (before we even had toolbars).
>
> I happen to have some old binaries lying around and it was a real trip to launch and run some of them to compare those primitive UIs with what we've now got. The difference is rather startling.
"Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment."
-- Anonymous

--
Paul, Excellent idea!

It's always a good thing to preserve your history. In particular, this is a showcase for Open Source since it's a user oriented pproduct. Most projects are system/infrastructure stuff.

As far as historians are concerned, "source" documents are preferred over memoirs.

If you want to see how an early,and great product (the Visicalc spreadsheet) was conceived and produced, look at http://www.bricklin.com/visicalc.htm Bricklin has scanned in the state diagrams he designed it from based on an HP RPN calculator. You can download the first version and run it in a DOS/DOS mode machine. http://www.bricklin.com/history/vcexecutable.htm -- Paul Cubbage, CEO 408-353-2164 353-8181 FAX 472-1112 Cell Open Country, Inc. paul@opencountry.net 23450 Old Santa Cruz Hwy. Los Gatos, CA 95033