Re: smart quotes, et al

Subject: Re: smart quotes, et al
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 17:11:04 CDT

justin> But, more generally, we should try to map using iconv (or
justin> corresponding system libraries) first. If they don't deal well
justin> with cases like these quotes, then we'll probably need to
justin> implement a special case mapping system.

wjc> It looks like the mapping is being done, at least in the case of
wjc> MSWord docs. In the raw file format, MSWord uses bytes with
wjc> values 0x92, 0x93, 0x94. These show up in AbiWord as the Unicode
wjc> values previously listed.

Oops. I expect you meant mapping via iconv before rendering. Makes
sense. In the case of the smart quotes things, though, they seem to
point to blank cells in the iso8859-1 fonts I've looked at.