Normal mode (was: Re: The 1.0 Jobs List ( :-) )

Subject: Normal mode (was: Re: The 1.0 Jobs List ( :-) )
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 15:04:10 CDT

> >2) Normal mode
> >Aaron has expressed interest in working on this, which I find to be a
> >nicer mode to work in on other word processors.
>
> See the old thread on this topic for my concerns about making this feature
> Just Work.
>
> Getting a first approximation is easy -- you basically undo the work we did
> to make Page View pretty from around December 98. However, getting a real
> Normal View is a lot more work, and probably requires a more substantial
> refactoring of the View classes. Feel free to investigate this feature, but
> I'd be quite happy to release 1.0 without it.

For those who were not around a year ago, Paul's rejection message is at
http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/99/July/0273.html. He
believes that it would require massive changes to the formatter. I'd like
to convince him otherwise :). To be honest, I don't really understand his
argument. Setting page view & paper margins to zero seems to work very
well as an initial hack, and with hacking a little more tolerance for such
hacks into FV_View and other classes should not be so hard. The only
major, noncosmetic in my current implementation that I have discovered is
that when a page break is created, the existing page suddenly takes on a
bottom margin. Needless to say, this is bad. But I don't think it will be
hard to fix. I will work on it some more today.

Thanks,
Aaron Lehmann