Re: commit -- [manifesto] no more mangling

Subject: Re: commit -- [manifesto] no more mangling
From: Jon Niehof (jnieho38@calvin.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 13:50:21 CDT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I htink part of the point of a cross-platform product is to
> > make sure the user doesn't know what platform they're
> > running on.
That is, of course, think. Can't wait until we get the DSL
in....mmmm, responsiveness....

> That's pretty clearly a violation of the church
> secretary principle. For such a user, the application
> should follow all the UI guidelines of whatever platform
> it's being run on. This means that it is going to be
> slightly different from platform to platform, as
> different platforms will have different UI guidelines.
Perhaps I was hasty in either thinking or acting here. As an
aside, I tend to be somewhat skeptical of UI guidelines for
a platform--a word processor under Windows should *not* look
like a graphics package under Windows.

More to the point, the idea is that "a user should not *have
to* know" what platform they're running on, or even that
other platforms exist. So we're all in agreement except for
the foot in my mouth.

(Incidentally, if anyone's wondering about me being all talk
and no code, I promise there'll be some patches coming. I
just finished up most of my undergrad requirements. As soon
as my senior project is done, I'll be able to spare a few
hours a week for Abi coding. Hopefully in time to help
squish bugs for 1.0)

--Jon, N9RUJ jnieho38@calvin.edu www.calvin.edu/~jnieho38

To seek a quarrel with a man is a bad method of
pleasing the woman who loves that man.
--Mercedes, The Count of Monte Cristo